- 1 - 75 Novice
- 76 - 145 Skilled
- 146 - 220 Expert
- 221 - 300 Master
- 301 - 375 Grandmaster
All gold/platinum rewards for all Fishing Caches were removed around patch 1.7 to combat growing 'gold farming'. There is now a random dimension item and/or Artifact and/or Artisan Marks in place of the currency.
Added in patch 1.8, Fishing is a Crafting skill that anyone can get. It does not count toward your Tradeskill limit. As of patch 2.1 #4, Fishing and Survival skill of 1 is automatically granted to all characters. There is no need to train to start.
- How to FishHow to Fish
- Rare SchoolsRare Schools
- Fishing by Zone and SkillFishing by Zone and Skill
- Uncle Stan's Fishing DerbyUncle Stan's Fishing Derby
- Fish ExchangesFish Exchanges
- Achievements (Mathosia)Achievements (Mathosia)
- Achievements (Storm Legion)Achievements (Storm Legion)
Trainers are neutral and can be used by members of either faction. Look for the Fish Exchange NPC's icon. Except for Ember Isle, the trainers will be very near them.
- Trena in Meridian on the back wall of Epoch Plaza near the drink vendors
- Palometa in Freemarch at Kelari Refuge on the shore to the west near the other crafting NPCs
- Astia in Stonefield at Granite Falls on the back deck of the Inn
- Gwen Stillwater in Scarlet Gorge at the river near Scarwood Lift Base
- Drathon in Scarwood Reach at Perspice on the back deck of the Inn
- Murin Remor on Bahralt Street in Sanctum
- Molly Graysby at Argent Gladein Silverwood near the south log bridge
- Armand Corel at Gloamwood Pines in Gloamwood east of town on the edge of the lake
- Miz Stillwater at Stonecrest in Scarlet Gorge
- Lolus at Kain's Command in Scarwood Reach
- Shanni at Lantern Hook basement in Droughtlands
- Brann at Acrid Basin (just south of Reclaimer's Hold) in Moonshade Highlands
- Eret Stonebrand at Chancel of Labors in Iron Pine Peak
- Koral Chase at Fortune's Shore in Shimmersand
- Michael Obbin at Zareph's Return in Stillmoor
- Androl at Ashen Fault (southeast side of Ember Watch) in Ember Isle
- Grandmaster Plenigi Ripozi at The Canals in Tempest Bay
- Grandmaster Kalmaroj Kurage at Tuldio Retreat in Kingdom of Pelladane
- Grandmaster Captain Maristo at Tulan in Cape Jule
You do not have to do the quests to learn fishing. However, the starter quest will award Old Fishing Pole and allow you to train your first lure recipe. You can train the next skill level from your trainer the same way you would any other tradeskill.
- Fishing Lessons - Rewards Old Fishing Pole.
- Shallow Water Fishing - Replaces Old Fishing Pole with Beginner's Fishing Pole.
- Deep Water Fishing - Rewards Speedy Shark Snack.
- Fishing With Lures
- Near-Endless Fishing (28) - Fish 3 Toxophilic Star from the toxic pools at Demon Steps; Widemouth Sashimi reward.
Patch 1.9 introduced Daily quests for Fishing and Survival.
With Patch 2.1 #3, the Fish Exchange turn-ins have been changed to a daily quest for each type of fish that was previously used for exchange.
- Fish Exchange - Dusken Eel - Turn in 6 for either Caretakers Major Fishing Award or Empyrean Treasure Cache.
- Fish Exchange - Emerald Flycatcher - Turn in 6 for either Caretakers Major Fishing Award or Empyrean Treasure Cache.
To use a lure, right-click on the lure in your inventory, then left-click on your fishing pole (just like applying a rune). The fishing pole tooltip indicates the number of charges or length of time remaining.
Each lure does something different, so you never really outgrow them. Even after you have left the first zone, you will need to replenish your supply of Irresistible Water Snail lures. Therefore, use your first few Smooth Minnows and Forest Pondleapers to make Snail lures, use the next 9 to get your Survival up to 10, and then use the rest to make as many Snail lures as you can. You will use them all.
|Irresistible Water Snail||1||Smooth Minnow|
|Silverwood and Freemarch||Improves your catch (reduces your chance to catch trash), 10 charges.|
|Greedy Lure||1||- -||- -||Keeps you from fishing up gray items, 20 charges; available from Spirit Joralur for 75 Molten Gold Ingot (1.8 Event merchant).|
|Fish Lure||75||Lesser Crystalfish|
|Gloamwood and Stonefield||Guarantees you catch only usable aquatic items, 10 charges.|
|Timed Magnetic Lure||150||Steelscale Thrasher|
|Triples your chance to catch Artifacts, 10-min duration.|
|Timed Trophy Lure||180||Aestivating Nautilus|
|- See Notes -||Triples your chance of fishing up trophy fish and treasure; 10-minute duration. From sunken treasure in Moonshade Highlands and Droughtlands, or Fish Exchange Tacklebox in Ember Isle.|
|Rare Fish Lure||225||Burrowing Crab|
|Increases your chance to catch Rare fish, 5 charges.|
|Rare Artifact Attractor||300||Brown Perch|
|- See Notes -||Greatly improves your chance of fishing up rare collectible artifacts; 2 charges, 5-hr cooldown. From sunken treasure or Fish Exchange Tacklebox in Iron Pine Peak, Shimmersand, Stillmoor, or Ember Isle.|
|Rare Brevanic Fish Lure||325||Kraken Hatchling|
|- See Notes -||Requires Level 51. Guarantees you catch uncommon, rare, or epic fish; 6 charges. Applicable to Lucky or better fishing pole. Only useful in Brevane and Dusken.|
|Enduring Magnetic Lure||350||Sharpfin|
|- See Notes -||Requires Level 54. Triples your chance of fishing up collectible artifacts; 15-min duration. Applicable to Lucky or better fishing pole.|
|Enduring Trophy Lure||350||Sharpfin|
|- See Notes -||Requires Level 54. Triples your chance of fishing up trophy fish and treasure; 15-min duration. Applicable to Lucky or better fishing pole. Recipe from sunken treasure or Fish Exchange Tacklebox.|
|Emerald Flycatcher Lure||355||Quick Minnow (8)|
|- See Notes -||Requires Level 50, Lucky or better pole and proper location, significantly increases your chance to catch Emerald Flycatchers. 90 second duration.|
|Coldflare Octopus Lure||355||Empyrean Dragonfish (8)|
Giant Pondleaper (2)
|- See Notes -||Requires Level 50, Lucky or better pole and proper location, significantly increases your chance to catch Coldflare Octopii. 90 second duration.|
|Dusken Eel Lure||365||Banded Puffer (8)|
Veiled Octopus (2)
|- See Notes -||Requires Level 50, Lucky or better pole and proper location, significantly increases your chance to catch Dusken Eels. 90 second duration.|
|Kraken Hatchling Lure||365||Mottled Flatfish (8)|
|- See Notes -||Requires Level 50, Lucky or better pole and proper location, significantly increases your chance to catch Kraken Hatchlings. 90 second duration.|
|Rare Brevanic Artifact Attractor||375||Diving Ouzel|
|- See Notes -||Requires Level 60. Guarantees you fish up uncommon or rare collectible artifacts; 2 charges, 6-hr cooldown. Applicable to Brevanic Fishing Pole. Only useful in Brevane and Dusken. Recipe from sunken treasure or Fish Exchange Tacklebox.|
|Twisted Lure||375||Silt Eel|
|- See Notes -||Requires Level 60 and Omen/Quantum Sight. Quest available from Survivalist and Fisher Recipes merchant. Guarantees you fish up Twisted artifacts.; 3 charges, 6-hr cooldown. Applicable to Lucky or better fishing pole. Only useful in Mathosia.|
- Old Fishing Pole (1) - Reward for completing Fishing Lessons.
- Beginner's Fishing Pole (1) - Reward for completing Shallow Water Fishing or purchased from trainer.
Each Pole recipe requires the pole from the previous tier (must not have a lure attached), plus additional materials.
- Standard Fishing Pole (75) - Allows attaching Fish Lure or a lure from the previous tier.
- Metal Fishing Pole (150) - Allows attaching Timed Magnetic Lure or any lure from the previous tiers.
- mbued Fishing Pole (225) - Allows attaching Rare Fish Lure or any lure from the previous tiers.
- Lucky Fishing Pole (300) - Allows attaching Twisted Lure or any lure from the previous tiers; guarantees you catch no trash, which makes Irresistible Water Snail and Fish Lure unnecessary.
- Brevanic Fishing Pole (375) - Allows attaching any lure.
First, complete the quest Fishing Lessons from your trainer to get Old Fishing Pole. The pole is usable from inventory but it is much easier to make a hotkey on your action bar. Find a body of water and you're ready to fish!
Too close, too far or not water
You are on-target for a rare fishing object
- To fish, left click your pole and left click on the water to indicate where you would like to cast.
- When the fish tugs on the line (water will splash and the cursor will change to a leaping fish), press your hotkey one time or left click anywhere on the world once to reel it in. If you wait too long or click more than once, the fish gets away.
- If the fish does not reel in after a splash, you have hooked an uncommon item or rare fish. Wait a few seconds for another tug on the line, then press your hotkey or left click again to set the hook. Keep doing that until you catch it!
- The better the quality of the catch, the more tugs (up to three) it will give on the line.
- Pro Tip: If you are fishing in the middle of a lot of other players, watching the chat box or listening to the sound cues can get you in trouble. You will catch more fish and let fewer get away if you watch for your mouse pointer to turn into a fish.
- You cannot fish while swimming, so to fish in Deep water you need to be on shore or in the shallows. After clicking your fishing pole, mousing over the water will show a tooltip indicating whether that spot is Shallow or Deep water, as well as the relative difficulty (by color) of fishing in that location.
- Some zones have special fishing locations where certain fish can be caught more reliably. Look for sparkles above a school of fish and then fish directly on that location.
- Occasionally you will catch a Shallow water fish in Deep water. This is not common but it does happen.
- All saltwater, Deep or Shallow, yields level 1 fish from the Silverwood or Freemarch tables. This includes any small islands but NOT Ember Isle.
- Lava pools (such as Blood Iron Pools in Iron Pine Peak, The Last Valley in Stonefield, and Fell Fields, Atia, and Searing Brink in Ember Isle), and tar pools in Droughtlands at Harlan's Lament are fishable, but yield only trash (even at 300 with a Lucky Fishing Pole).
- Any water found in an instance will have the same minimum skill and type of fish as the parent zone the instance is in. For example, The Well in The Fall of Lantern Hook has a minimum level of 150 and yields the same fish as The Well in the basement of Lantern Hook in Droughtlands.
Look for sparkles above a school of fish and cast at the surface directly above the school. The cursor tooltip will change to the name of the school when you have the right spot. The school may yield special rare catches or an increased chance for a "normal" rare. Your skill must be at least 5 above the minimum skill level needed to fish in that zone before you can use these special locations.
Schools greatly increase the chance of getting a skill-up, from 5 above the zone minimum to about 30 above (when it changes from orange to yellow)! Periodically, a common school may cycle into another type. This will generally last for no more than 60 seconds, after which it will return to a common school.
- School of (Common) Fish - Fish only, no trash. Orange from 5 to 30 above minimum skill to fish.
- School of Rare Fish - Improved chance to catch Uncommon or better fish. Orange from 15 to 30 above minimum skill to fish.
- School of Clever Fish - Improved chance to catch Uncommon or better fish. Orange from 25 to 45 above minimum skill to fish.
- Sunken Boat or Crashed Boat - Improved chance to catch artifacts (including Trophy fish!) +5 to +?
NOTE: Sparkles do NOT rise from a Sunken Boat. If it is totally submerged you will not see it from above except by watching for the mouseover.
Fishing in a specific zone requires a certain skill level, so don't expect to fish in a top-end zone immediately. See the table below for the types of fish and minimum skill level required for each zone.
Different fish are found in different types of water and zones! Some are found in Shallow water while others are in Deep water. Deep water is considered to be swimming depth, whereas Shallow water would be wading depth. Note to Dwarves: Deep water is based on human size.. sorry!
Each zone has Trash, Common, Uncommon and Rare fish in Shallow and Deep water. Trash and sunken treasure can be found in both Shallow and Deep water. Sunken treasure can contain a BOP dimension item; Artisan Marks, a consumable or artifact, or a Survivalist recipe in Ember Isle, Shimmersand, or Stillmoor. Turning in a Fish Exchange quest can alternately reward a recipe.
Even with the best pole and the best lure, there is always a chance to catch trash. Critical fail is always a possibility.
Introduced with Storm Legion, this daily quest is available at Grandmaster Fishing skill at The Canals in Tempest Bay. The objective is to catch 20 fish within 60 minutes in a specific zone. These uncommon fish are available only on the day of the quest, and can be found in both Shallow and Deep water. Rewards include coin, Artisan Marks, and Crystalized Insight. See Quest List for "Fishing Derby"
Each zone faction offers a Major Fishing Reward or a Tacklebox for three, six or eight fish within that zone. As of Patch 2.1 #3, these turn-ins have been converted to a Daily quest.
|Apprentice Fisherman|| Catch 100 Fish.|
|Rare Catch|| Catch a Rare Fish.|
|Rarer Catch|| Catch 10 Rare Fish.|
|The Rarest Catch|| Catch all Rare Fish.|
|Sunken Treasure|| Fish up Sunken Shipping Crate.|
|Trophy Catch|| Catch a Trophy Fish.*|
|Master Trophy Angler|| Catch all Trophy fish.|
|A Collection of Trophies|| Complete all Trophy Fish artifacts sets.|
|Fishing for Artifacts|| Complete all Fishing artifact sets.|
|Freemarch Fisherman|| Catch one of every fish in Freemarch.|
|Silverwood Fisherman|| Catch one of every fish in Silverwood.|
|Gloamwood Fisherman|| Catch one of every fish in Gloamwood.|
|Stonefield Fisherman|| Catch one of every fish in Stonefield.|
|Scarlet Gorge Fisherman|| Catch one of every fish in Scarlet Gorge.|
|Scarwood Reach Fisherman|| Catch one of every fish in Scarwood Reach.|
|Droughtlands Fisherman|| Catch one of every fish in Droughtlands.|
|Moonshade Highlands Fisherman|| Catch one of every fish in Moonshade Highlands.|
|Iron Pine Peak Fisherman|| Catch one of every fish in Iron Pine Peak.|
|Shimmersand Fisherman|| Catch one of every fish in Shimmersand.|
|Stillmoor Fisherman|| Catch one of every fish in Stillmoor.|
|Ember Isle Fisherman|| Catch one of every fish in Ember Isle.|
|Marvelous Angler of Telara|| Catch one of every fish in Telara.|
|Supreme Angler|| Become a fully skilled master in Fishing.|
|Ultimate Angler||Complete all Fishing achievements.|
* Trophy Fish are artifacts that can be added to one or more collections.
|Journeyman Brevanic Fisherman|| Catch 500 fish in Brevane.|
|Dedicated Brevanic Fisherman|| Catch 1,000 fish in Brevane.|
|Supreme Brevanic Fisherman|| Catch 10,000 fish in Brevane.|
|Journeyman Dusken Fisherman|| Catch 500 fish in Dusken.|
|Dedicated Dusken Fisherman|| Catch 1,000 fish in Dusken.|
|Supreme Dusken Fisherman|| Catch 10,000 fish in Dusken.|
|Brevanic Castmaster|| Catch 10 rare fish in Brevane.|
|Dusken Castmaster|| Catch 10 rare fish in Dusken.|
|Brevanic Fish Whisperer|| Catch 100 rare fish in Brevane.|
|Dusken Fish Whisperer|| Catch 100 rare fish in Dusken.|
|Brevanic Trophy Angler|| Catch 5 Trophy fish in Brevane.*|
|Dusken Trophy Angler|| Catch 5 Trophy fish in Dusken.|
|Catch 10 Trophy Fish in Brevane|| Catch 10 Trophy fish in Brevane.|
|Dusken Trophy Master|| Catch 10 Trophy fish in Dusken.|
|New World Shallows Fisherman|| Catch one of every shallow-water fish in Brevane and Dusken.|
|New World Deeps Fisherman|| Catch one of every deep-water fish in Brevane and Dusken.|
|Brevanic Fisherman|| Catch one of every fish in Brevane.|
|Dusken Fisherman|| Catch one of every fish in Dusken.|
|Ultimate Brevanic Angler|| Complete all Fishing achievements in Brevane.|
|Ultimate Dusken Angler|| Complete all Fishing achievements in Dusken.|
|Pierless Angler|| Complete all Fishing achievements in Brevane and Dusken.|
Trophy Fish are artifacts that can be added to one or more collections.
Although artifacts from every zone and collection in Mathosia can appear as a rare fishing result, there are 15 collections that are specific to Fishing. These are listed on the achievement Fishing for Artifacts.
Credit for some content on this page to Hanlin of Seraphim and Sylvax of Wolfsbane.